Sabotage. A word we all know too well. Usually when it’s said we sabotage, it means we’re trying to set up another person to fail.
However, we don’t realize that we constantly set ourselves up to self sabotage.
When we self sabotage, we set ourselves up to fail at what we’re making progress toward.
- Bettering ourselves
- Stronger relationships/friendships
- Overcoming an addictive habit
- Not stressing over everything
- Improving at work
- Letting others get inside your head
- Gaining confidence
- Starting a healthy diet/exercise regimen
- Eliminating that toxic thing out of your life whatever it may be
- Motivating yourself
Whatever you may be facing in your life that you want to improve on.
It’s really easy for us to give up on ourselves and fall back in to old patterns. I know personally with having mental health issues, when I take one step forward, I take like five back.
I constantly self sabotage
I’m not going to lie, I have a horrible issue with self sabotaging myself. I have never been content with myself, ever. I’ve always had issues with my self esteem. I’ve always relied on others to make me happy. I needed that attention. My past has really destroyed me for all of this.
I’ve been trying to work on myself and better myself. I know that you can only rely on yourself for happiness. They say only you can let you down. Well, I do it a lot.
I’ve been reading stuff, working on being positive, being upbeat and confident. Trying to get my diet and exercise in check.
I’ve really been trying. Over the past few weeks, I started noticing a difference. However, the last few days have been rough for me, mood wise. I still have the hardest time handling stress and when something rough gets thrown at me.
I feel myself starting to regress..
A ton of anxiety. Some crying. Questioning many things, not everything, but some things. Slacking on my diet slightly and not exercising like I should be. I’ve been wanting to just lay around on the couch.
Doubting myself. Doubting that I deserve anything good. Telling myself I’m a waste of space and don’t deserve to be here. Putting myself down constantly.
Not being able to focus at work. Lack of motivation.
The biggest thing: I try and control everything. I try to force things. I want things right then and now. Instead of nature taking its course..
I can’t let myself go again and get to how I used to be..
Reading all that, you can clearly see self doubt is my biggest issue. I’ve never really believed in myself and felt worthy..
So next, how can we overcome self sabotage?
Here are a few things that I’ve found helpful:
- Admitting when you feel like you’re regressing
- Speaking up about how you’re feeling
- Replacing negative thoughts with positive ones
- Surrounding yourself with people who lift you up instead of bringing you down
- Buying healthier foods to eat so you’re not tempted to eat the unhealthy foods
- Getting on a set exercise routine
- Setting small, achievable goals for myself
- Setting an amount of calls to do at work before I take a break
- Pointing out things I’m doing right instead of what I’m doing wrong
- Standing up for myself
- Using coping skills
- Not overthinking and letting life “just go”
- Doing what I feel is best for ME and no one else
- Not letting others get to me
You truly are your own worst enemy. It’s easy to criticize yourself and drag yourself down. Remember, you’re only human. We all make mistakes, with others and ourselves.
You’re doing better than you think you are. Start giving yourself some credit.
Don’t fall back in to old habits. Don’t be afraid to take chances and try to make things better for yourself.
What steps are you going to take to help stop self sabotage?